Please be advised that in order to obtain an original or copies of civil documents (including birth, marriage, divorce, death records) on file in Ukraine applicants should submit a completed copy of the attached questionnaire (see an English translation here) directly to the ARCHIVES in Ukraine (the addresses of archives are available here). In this case the Consulate General of Ukraine in New York will inform you about he results of these requests.
Note: A request is accepted only if the information provided on the questionnaire is supplied in full and exact detail in the Ukrainian language. If the questionnaire is filled out by the applicant in English, it is to be accompanied by a professionally executed certified translation into Ukrainian.
In order to request the documents from Ukraine the persons residing in our Consular District can also apply to the Consulate General of Ukraine in New York in order to arrange the necessary request to Ukraine. In this case an applicant should personally submit or mail 3 (three) completed copies of the attached questionnaires to the:
Consulate General of Ukraine
240 East 49 st New York, NY 10017
- Three originals of the questionnaire must be submitted for each document being requested.
- The questionnaire should be completed in Ukrainian, typed in block letters in black or blue ink, dated and signed by the applicant.
- If a photocopy of the requested document is available, it may be helpful to include it with the questionnaire, as it may assist in facilitating the search for the document.
- If the questionnaire can not be submitted by the applicant in person (e.i. sent by mail or submitted by another person), then it will also need to be notarized by a notary public.
- Note: The request will be accepted only if the information provided the questionnaire is completed in full and exact detail in Ukrainian language. For the applicant's convenience, a translation of the questionnaire into English is provided. If the questionnaire is filled out by the applicant in English, it is to be accompanied by a professionally executed certified translation into Ukrainian.
- Consular fees (not refundable): $15 application fee + $60 processing fee per a document search.
- Payment should be in the form of a money order made payable to the Consulate General of Ukraine in New York.Cash, credit cards, personal or company checks are not accepted.
- In case of absence of corresponding data in archives, the consular fee already paid shall not be reimbursed. . Failure to comply with these instructions may result in the return of your request unprocessed.
- If applying by mail, a return self-addressed prepaid express envelope is required.
Note: There is no expedited service!. In order to request the documents from Azerbaijan, Bilorus, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, an applicant is required to forward a request directly to the archives of the countries mentioned or proceed through the Embassies of these countries in the USA.
Instruction on requesting the documents from Ukraine
certifying the registration of civil state acts
In order to confirm facts that are subject to registration by authorities of civil state, certificates with basic data about a person are issued by these authorities.
1. Secondary (Repeated) certificates are issued to the persons, to whom names the civil state acts are registered, and secondary birth certificates of children can be issued only to their parents or adopters. The secondary birth certificates for children under 18 years of old, can be issued to their guardians, and administration of child houses, where the children are being brought up. Persons 16 years of age can be given the secondary certificates upon their passport.
The person deprived of parents' rights can not be given secondary birth certificates of children. On issuing a secondary birth certificate the data about the parents are given in full accordance with the registration data of the birth act.
The secondary death certificates can be issued only to relatives of the deceased (children, including adopted ones, spouses, brothers and sisters, grandparents of deceased).
Family relation should confirmed by official documents.
2. The secondary certificates of marriage which has been terminated can not be issued. In this case upon request of applicants the special certifying paper is issued.
3. The papers certifying the registration of the civil state acts are issued to the persons to whom a corresponding record relates. Besides, the papers certifying birth, marriage, divorce, changes of a family name, a given name, patronymic name of the acts of the civil state are given to relatives on direct upgoing and downgoing lines as to as adopters and guardians.
4. In application for issuing secondary certificate should be noted: family name, given name, middle name and address of applicant; family name, given name and middle name of the person, for whom name the certificate is requested; type of requested certificate; when and by which organ of registration of civil state act has been registered; aim of request of the secondary certificate is requested.If the birth certificate is requested full names of the parents should be indicated.
If the marriage or divorce certificate is requested the name of the spouse should be indicated.